Jirene's Genealogy Treasures

Genealogical Information of Interest on my Ancestors: Morris and Ellsworth families including Lee, Halladay, Wanslee, Gordge, McFerren, and Blackhurst (England, Ireland, Wales, Australia to the US: Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, Utah and Arizona), and the Butler and Adams families including Hancock, Lind, DeWitt, McCleve, Thetford, and Nielsen (England, Ireland, Denmark to the US: Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, North Carolina, New Jersey, Vermont, Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Missouri, Utah, and Arizona).

Feb 16, 2010

I Love Finding Draft Cards of My Ancestors

I recently decided to upload my family tree to Ancestry.com, and was pleasantly surprised to see the many improvements offered.  First, I know Ancestry.com would search records for you, but I was amazed how many Leaves ("hits") it is finding!  I have 5,298 family and ancestors in my tree (most of which were handed down to me from my Mom), and Ancestry.com has over 82 Leafs for me to research.  This is coming in handy, as I have mostly been researching first source records to document my Mom's (and her family's) research.

I've been using Ancestry.com for many years, and have loved finding draft cards of my ancestors.  However, with the new "Leaf" feature, I discovered that my grandfather, William Franklin Butler III, had to register for the draft (which I was unaware).  Here's his draft registration card (World War I Draft Registration Cards 1917-1918):



Tip:  To preview the image better, just click on it to enlarge it.  If you want a copy, right click on the image and save a copy to your computer.   Enjoy!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...